10 Tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/4 sticks)
1 1/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon Saigon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
2 large eggs
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup chocolate chips
1. Heat the oven to 350F, and line an 8-inch square baking pan with tin foil, leaving an overhang on opposite sides, so you can take the brownies out of the pan more easily when you’re done.
2. Combine the butter, sugar, cocoa, cinnamon, cayenne, and salt in a medium heat-proof bowl and set it over a pan of simmering water.
3. Stir it occasionally until the butter melts and the mixture is smooth.
4. Stir in the vanilla extract and then stir in the eggs, one at a time. Once the batter is smooth and shiny, stir in the flour until combined.
5. Add in the chocolate chips and spread the brownie batter into the pan.
6. Bake the brownies for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick in the middle comes out clean. Let them cool completely in the pan before cutting.